When do you need to get your degree officially recognised? | Australiastudy.es


After Spain’s incorporation into the European Higher Education Area (EHEA), a series of requisites have been established to implement these processes, which you’ll need to take into account if you have a higher education degree obtained abroad that you wish to have recognised in order to study in Spain.

 ]To start with we offer you a brief summary of the situation as it is now:

In Spain, the universities themselves create and propose the subjects and courses to be taught. In other words, there is no longer an official list of university courses set by the Government.

However, it should be noted that in the case of a qualification entitling the holder to access or exercise regulated professional activities, the Government does impose certain conditions with which the study plans are required to comply.

You therefore need to validate the equivalence of your foreign degree with a Spanish university degree whenever it entitles you to access a profession that is regulated in Spain (you’ll find more information in Annex 1 of this document). In all other cases, you have the option of obtaining equivalence to the academic level and degree corresponding to an area and a specific field (see which ones in Annex 2 of this document).

To help you see clearly what each process involves, here is a brief description of each case:

Equivalence with an official Spanish professional qualification: this is the official recognition of the training completed to obtain a foreign degree, equivalent to what would be required to obtain a Spanish degree entitling you to exercise a regulated profession.

Equivalence with a degree: this is the official recognition of the training completed to obtain a foreign degree, equivalent to a Spanish degree in the areas of Social and Legal Sciences, Arts and Humanities, Sciences, Health Sciences and Engineering and Architecture.

Equivalence with an academic level: this is the official recognition of the training completed to obtain a foreign degree, equivalent to what would be required to obtain any of the levels into which Spanish university studies are structured.

There are four official levels: foundation or diploma corresponds to level 1, bachelor’s to level 2, master’s to level 3 and doctorate to level 4. The equivalence you wish to obtain with your degree or your academic level must match one of these.

Recognition: this is the official recognition, for academic purposes, of the validity of higher studies taken abroad, regardless of whether they resulted in the award of a degree.[/vc_column_text][vc_column_text css=».vc_custom_1555327314724{margin-right: 25px !important;margin-left: 25px !important;}»]

Solución de documentación


1)    It must have been issued by a competent authority in the country of origin.
2)    It must show that you comply with the specifications for the level of studies required in Spain in order to be admitted to a bachelor’s or master’s course.
3)    It must show that you have completed a full cycle of post-secondary studies that accredits an academic level equivalent to a bachelor’s or master’s degree.
4)    It must show that you have acquired the educational skills corresponding to the degree for which the recognition is requeste[/vc_column_text][vc_column_text css=».vc_custom_1555199636593{margin-right: 25px !important;margin-left: 25px !important;}»]


1)    You should submit an application addressed to the corresponding authority at the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport. You can also submit the application electronically to the online register at the Ministry.
2)    Before reaching a decision, they will examine your training, taking into account various criteria. In fact the decisions are made based on a prior report issued by the National Quality Assessment and Accreditation Agency (ANECA).
3)    If they detect any deficiencies in the education accredited for obtaining your foreign degree, you will be required to undergo certain complementary training requirements. This may involve taking an aptitude test, undergoing a period of practical training or preparing a project or work assignment.
4)    You will be notified of the decision within a period of six months.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text css=».vc_custom_1555591176353{margin-right: 25px !important;margin-left: 25px !important;}»]


1) The recognition will be made by the Spanish university you are interested in attending.

2) If your studies concluded with obtaining a foreign degree that entitles you to access a regulated profession, you can request the equivalent of your degree to the corresponding official Spanish university degree, or you can have your studies recognized. However, you can not request both simultaneously.
Australia Study España with the collaboration of our partners in Spain will help you with all the documentation.[/vc_column_text][vc_video link=» https://youtu.be/_HQm_zb3tVQ» el_width=»60″ align=»center» title=»Partner in Spain City Hall School of Languages «][vc_column_text css=».vc_custom_1555376725705{margin-right: 25px !important;margin-left: 25px !important;}»]


The equivalence for the academic level of doctor is done by the universities.

You will be required to pay a fee. Justification of payment of the fee will be a necessary requirement for initiating the process.

In addition to higher education, recognition is also necessary if you studied your secondary education in another country (except the European Union, Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Andorra and China; or if you have the European Baccalaureate or International Baccalaureate) and you want to study for a bachelor’s degree in Spain. You will need to have your secondary school certificate recognised (or baccalaureate, depending on the country).



Tell us about your project, we will look for the best way to help you! Send us a  WhatsApp o Email.  

Our services are free! What are you waiting for?